Launceston General Hospital Precinct Masterplan
- The Tasmanian Government has committed to the next stages of the Launceston General Hospital (LGH) redevelopment with a major investment of $580 million over 10 years to improve the amenity of facilities and to increase capacity to meet future service demand.
- A Masterplan has been developed to guide the staged redevelopment of the LGH precinct.
- The Masterplan considers current and future demand pressures, service growth projections, asset condition reports and what we have heard from the community, staff, and other service providers.
- The LGH Masterplan Implementation Program has been prepared to outline the program of works for delivery of the Masterplan developments, in a staged sequence that delivers on identified service and infrastructure priorities, facilitates orderly demolition and construction, limits double decanting and maximises clinical linkages.
- Stage 1 (2018 – 2022) – complete existing LGH redevelopment projects under the 2018 Tasmanian Government funding commitment
- Stage 2 (2022 – 2024) – Begin planning the major redevelopment projects and deliver smaller refurbishment projects to create space to address service and infrastructure priorities identified in the Masterplanning process
- Stage 3 (2024 – 2027) – Deliver major construction projects, including the mental health services precinct, expanded and redesigned acute care zone, new medical inpatient unit for older persons and a new car park; and begin planning for a new inpatient and outpatient services tower on the current Northside site
- Stage 4 (2027 – 2032) – Build a new inpatient and outpatient services precinct on the current Northside site and plan for and build the final elements to deliver the Masterplan vision including a new front entrance
Key consultation activities included:
- information booth in the LGH Cafeteria
- facilitated focus groups
- direct meetings with stakeholder organisations
- opportunity to submit written feedback online.
- Feedback generally shows strong support for the proposed Masterplan developments and staging.
- Download Frequently Asked Questions - October 2021
Some updates have been made to the Masterplan to respond to feedback. These include:
- acknowledging that the co-located private hospital will have an impact on infrastructure requirements and staging of the Masterplan
- the temporary use of Ward 3D as a medical ward to support the Tasmanian Government’s commitment to increase elective surgery, ahead of its planned use as a new Older Persons’ Inpatient Unit to clarify the priority, impact and staging of the Masterplan developments works.
- The Project Team will continue to provide ongoing communication about implementation of the LGH precinct Masterplan.
- This website will be updated regularly to provide information on how you can get involved in consultation during the detailed planning for each of the specific developments.
Other resources and reports
- KP Health Clinical Service Planning Report - Draft Issue November 2020
- KP Health Consultation Findings Summary Report – July 2020
- KP Health Literature Review: Clinical Network Planning, Models of Care and Interventions – January 2020
- PLA/HPI LGH Masterplan Report - Draft Issue February 2021
- DoH Infrastructure Services - Purchase Order Terms and Conditions
Where to get more information
Royal Hobart Hospital Masterplan 2020-2050
In 2018, the Tasmanian Government directed the Clinical Planning Taskforce to begin planning for the immediate future of the Royal Hobart Hospital (RHH) and next stage of the RHH health precinct, including the Repatriation Hospital Site. The Taskforce was to provide advice to the Secretary in relation to:
- reviewing and updating the 2011 Masterplan to guide future stages of the RHH health precinct
- the optimal future use of J-Block
- models of care and clinical planning for the 250 new beds to be introduced by 2024.
The RHH Site Masterplan Review and Update 2020-2050 was released in 2019 and carries forward significant elements of the 2011 Masterplan, including:
- development of a purpose-built mental health services facility
- further development of the RHH City Campus site.
- maximising the use of the Repatriation Hospital site by developing it as a second campus of the RHH with a focus on sub-acute care and mental health services.
- continuing a staged approach to development of the RHH City Campus and RHH Repatriation Campus sites with interim works to support effective operation of the sites through each stage of development.
- Stage 1: RHH City Campus Development – Completion of K-Block
- Stage 2: RHH City Campus Development – interim expansion and refurbishment works
- Stage 3: RHH Repatriation Campus Development
- Stage 4: RHH City Campus Development – L-Block
- Stage 5: RHH City Campus Development – M-Block
- Stage 6: RHH City Campus Development – N-Block
The Government has funded Stage 2. Work is progressing on the interim expansion and refurbishment works at the city campus.
Where to get more information
- Visit the Royal Hobart Hospital Redevelopment website
- Download the Masterplan Review Report Volume 1
- Download the Masterplan Review Report Volume 2
- Download the Southern Reference Group Terms of Reference
- Download the Masterplan 2020 – 2050 Consultation Schedule