About Royal Hobart Hospital
We acknowledge and respect Tasmanian Aboriginal people as the traditional owners and ongoing custodians of the land on which we work and live, and pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.
- The Royal Hobart Hospital is Tasmania’s largest hospital and the major referral centre.
- We provide acute, sub-acute, mental health and aged care inpatient and ambulatory services.
- We support around 250,000 Tasmanians in the southern region.
- We are a major clinical teaching and research site for The University of Tasmania and other institutions.
- We have been helping Tasmanians from our current site for over 200 years.
- We employ around 3,000 people.
- View our current hospital statistics.
Types of services
We provide a comprehensive range of general, specialty medical and surgical services. These include:
- 24-hour, seven-day-a-week Emergency Department
- 24-hour, seven-day-a-week critical care Intensive Care Unit (including cardiothoracic intensive care),
- High Dependency Unit
- cardiac surgery
- extensive burns treatment
- hyperbaric medicine
- neonatal and paediatric intensive care
- high-risk obstetrics.
Donations, gifts and bequests
- We appreciate the generosity of Tasmanians, small businesses and large corporations.
- Each year we are well-supported by fundraising to purchase medical equipment.
- If you would like to make a donation, gift or bequest, please contact our Community Relations Unit.
Read more about Royal Hobart Hospital
Royal Hobart Hospital mission
Learn all about the mission, values and goals of the Royal Hobart Hospital in Tasmania.
Royal Hobart Hospital history
Learn all about the history and milestones of the Royal Hobart Hospital in Tasmania.
Volunteer with the Royal Hobart Hospital
Learn all about volunteering opportunities with the Royal Hobart Hospital.
Safety and quality at Royal Hobart Hospital
Learn all about how we deliver patient safety and quality of services at the Royal Hobart Hospital.