Food safety for businesses and community organisations
Information on this page will help you produce and sell food safely in Tasmania.
Food safety standards
Food safety guidelines, protocols and forms
Food business and provider guidelines and protocols
- Boil water alert precautions
- Child care - centre based day care and outside school hours care
- Child care - family day care
- Donating food
- Establishing a food business
- Mobile food businesses
- Recall Protocol for the food industry
- Risk Classification System for food businesses
- Notifiable food contaminants
Packaging and labelling
- Allergen management
- Labelling packaged food
- Providing information for foods without a label
- Reusable containers
Food and drink products
Food safety program templates
The Food Safety Program templates consist of the program template, records, and supplementary practices section.
Free Online Food Safety Training
Public Health Services has partnered with the Victorian Department of Health to enable greater access to the free online DoFoodSafely training program.
This program gives participants knowledge about how to safely handle food in a commercial setting.
DoFoodSafely is available for all and is accessed at DoFoodSafely
DoFoodSafely is in four languages (English, Arabic, Chinese and Vietnamese) and future translations (Hindi, Punjabi, Korean and Nepali) should be available in 2021.
More than 2000 Tasmanian’s have accessed DoFoodSafely between January and October.
Please share this resource, especially to those from non-English speaking backgrounds.
Food allergies (allergen)
A food allergy occurs when the immune system responds to an allergen (an ingredient that is usually harmless) in food. This triggers an immune reaction.
Industry organisation website links
- Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand
- Local Government Association of Tasmania
- Tasmanian Dairy Industry Authority
- Shellfish Market Access Program
Where to get more information
Public Health Hotline – Tasmania