Mersey Community Hospital is highly regarded for timely, safe and high-quality services. For over 120 years, we have enjoyed the very strong staff and community support.
- We have 95 beds and over 610 staff providing quality general and specialist healthcare services to our community.
- We are fully accredited by the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards.
- We have a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate clinical training program and close ties with the University of Tasmania Rural Clinical School and with TAFE Tasmania.
- We work closely with other hospitals and primary health services to support patients across the region.
- We appreciate the generosity of Tasmanians, small businesses and large corporations.
- All donations enable us to maintain high standards of patient care through equipment purchases and upgrading of facilities and services.
- We follow strict rules to ensure gifts are safe, appropriate and free of infection.
- All soft or fluffy toys, wooden items, games and other donated items must be new.
- To make a donation, gift or bequest, please contact us
A hospital was first opened at Latrobe in 1889 called the Devon Cottage Hospital. It relocated to a larger site in 1903 and was renamed the Devon Public Hospital.
In 1961 the Mersey General Hospital was opened at the current site and was later named the Mersey Community Hospital.
The Australian Government purchased the Mersey Community Hospital in 2007 amid community concern about the delivery of health services. The hospital was then funded by the Australian Government under successive Heads of Agreement’s with the Tasmanian Government.
On 1 July 2017, the Australian Government transferred ownership of the Mersey Community Hospital to the Tasmanian Government with a ten year funding deal, after which it will be fully funded and operated by the Department of Health.
The Mersey Community Hospital is highly regarded for its delivery of timely, safe and high quality services and for the past 120 years has enjoyed very strong staff and community support