Welcome to the Launceston General Hospital.
- We provide inpatient and ambulatory services to Launceston and surrounding areas.
- We are the largest employer in the region with around 2,000 staff.
- We provide quality services in a culture of respect and trust.
- We always provide high levels of professionalism and a focus on performance and achieving results.
- We focus on teamwork within the hospital and with community providers.
Read more about Launceston General Hospital
- We are an accredited teaching hospital.
- We work with many universities to provide clinical experience in practice for students within different areas of medicine. nursing & midwifery, Allied Health and Pharmacy
- We have a close working partnership with the University of Tasmania.
- We have students from the schools of Medicine, Nursing and Midwifery, Pharmacy and Allied Health.
- The students are able to learn skills in a clinical environment.
- We are also a major teaching hospital for postgraduate trainees.
- The students work in specialty medicine, surgery and post-graduate nursing programs.
Receiving care from a medical student
- It is important for students to get as much clinical experience with real patients as they can.
- We encourage you to participate if you are comfortable.
- You have the right to refuse to have a student be part of your care.
Research and innovation at the hospital
- The Volunteer Program at Launceston General Hospital provides many extra and complementary services that supplement the care and treatment of patients while in hospital.
- Volunteers add to our quality of health care by helping support patients, their families, the staff, visitors and the community within the hospital.
- Your contribution makes a huge impact on the Tasmanian community, and becoming a volunteer is a fantastic opportunity for you to play an important part in providing vital services to our community. Volunteers are recognisable in our hospital by their red striped shirts.
How to become a volunteer
The volunteer office is on Level 3 near the main entrance. If you are interested in volunteering please email volunteer services officer karen.gathe[email protected].