Register a place or make changes to a registered place
Apply to register a place
To register a new place, you should:
- contact an accredited person to discuss the design and other requirements required by the Standard
- ensure any building works incorporate the radiation safety features required by the standard
- obtain a certificate of compliance from the accredited person that demonstrates the place complies with the appropriate standard
- submit a copy of the certificate of compliance and an application form to register the place.
Amend a registration for a place
You must contact the Radiation Protection Unit to discuss how to proceed If you are intending to change the:
- type of radiation source that the place was registered for storage and/or use (for example, replacing a BMD with a CT unit)
- current approved workload of the unit for that registered place (for example, more procedures per four-week period than specified on the registration certificate)
- structural layout of the registered place.
Dispose of equipment
- Disposal of a radiation source requires approval prior to any disposal.
- To seek approval for disposal, complete and submit an application for amendment.
- Up to five domestic smoke alarms containing Am241 may be disposed of safely in household rubbish per week.
Registration application forms
The place in which you wish to carry out your radiation practice must also comply with relevant radiation safety standards and, to show this, the place must have a certificate of compliance issued by an accredited person.
When a place has been issued with a certificate of compliance by an accredited person an application to register the place may be submitted using the RPA0101 application form.