Personal information and medical records
We keep personal information about your condition and treatment. This information is kept in medical records. These records may include:
- test results
- medical reports
- surgical or clinical notes.
Where your records are stored
- Your medical records may be kept in an online database, as a paper file or a combination of both.
- Your records are private and confidential.
- In some situations, your health information will need to be shared between healthcare providers.
My Health Record
- My Health Record is Australia’s national digital health record platform.
- It is an online summary of your important health information.
- You can access your health information securely online from any device connected to the internet.
- Your record helps health professionals easily access your health information like allergies, medicines you take, medical conditions and test results. This is important for getting the right treatment, especially in an accident or emergency.
- It's also an easy way to record and track your health information over time.
- If you don't have one, you can register for a My Health Record at any time.
- You can contact the My Health Record Helpline on 1800 723 471 or visit the My Health Record website.
Information we upload to your My Health Record
Public hospitals in Tasmania can add information about your health to your record.
- This may include details about your discharge from hospital, medication information, diagnostic and pathology reports, outpatient specialist letters and Pharmacy Shared Medicines List.
- Not all documents will be uploaded every time you receive treatment at a public hospital. Sometimes, we use a paper-based process or system not connected to My Health Record.
- You can find out which hospitals and health providers are using My Health Record on the My Health Record website.
Where you can get more information about My Health Record
Accessing your personal information
How your personal information can be used in Australia is regulated by the law. This means that your information must be used within the law. Personal information about you includes:
- information or opinion in any recorded format, including photographs and sound and video recordings, about an individual that readily identifies that individual
- sensitive information
- health information.
How to access personal information we hold about you?
We have prepared an application form to help you apply to access your personal information.
For more information about your rights and personal information, please visit our Healthcare Rights and Legislations page. You can also contact the hospital directly.
If you are unsure of which operational unit holds your personal information, you can send your form to us by post using the address details below or email [email protected]
Application for Personal Information
Strategy, Information Management and Governance Office
Department of Health
GPO Box 125
Hobart TAS 7001
When you will receive your personal information
- We will contact you promptly after receiving your application.
- We may need to ask you to provide further information to help them process your application.
- We will let you know if there are any charges for accessing your information. Information may be withheld until all charges have been paid.