Smoke-free areas in Tasmania
On this page
Tasmania’s smoke-free areas are outlined under the Public Health Act 1997 to:
- protect you from second-hand smoke
- stop smoking being a ‘normal’ activity
- support you if you have quit or are trying to quit smoking.
What products are banned in smoke-free areas?
You cannot use any of the following products in smoke-free areas for any reason:
- Tobacco products
- Electronic cigarettes
- Personal vaporisers
- Herbal cigarettes
- Non-tobacco cigarettes.
Types of smoke-free areas in Tasmania
- Inside public places (such as restaurants and shops) and within 3 metres of an entry to a public building.
- Pedestrian malls.
- Between the flags on patrolled beaches and outdoor areas at public pools.
- Outdoor dining areas at times when food can be eaten.
- Within 10 metres of playground equipment.
- Within 20 metres of competition and seating areas at sportsgrounds.
- Bus malls and within 3 metres of bus shelters.
- In cars when a child (under 18 years) is inside.
Smoke-free public events
- You cannot smoke at most public events in Tasmania.
- These include music, food and wine festivals, markets, carols by candlelight, agricultural shows and more.
- Sometimes, there may be designated smoking areas.
Resources for organisers of smoke-free public events
- Smoke Free Public Notice
- Smoke Free Management Plan
- Smoke Free Events: A Guide for Event Organisers
- Sign: Public Event Designated Smoking Area
- Sign: This Public Event is Smoke Free
- Having a smoke-free workplace is one of the best things you can do for the health of your employees.
- There are resources to help your workplace go smoke-free and support employees to reduce smoking.
Download Going smoke-free: your workplace kit
Local Councils - Declaring smoke-free areas
Download Designating Smoke-free Areas Guide
Guidelines and signage for licensed and dining premises
Smoking Laws in Tasmania - A Guide for Licenced and Dining Premises
Approved smoke-free signage
- No Smoking or Vaping
- This Bus Mall is Smoke-Free
- This Pool Centre is Smoke-Free
- No Food is Allowed in an Outdoor Smoking Area
- No Smoking in Outdoor Dining Areas
- No Smoking in this Area During Mealtimes
- Smoking is Allowed in this Area During These Times Only
- No Smoking Within 20 metres of tees, fairways or greens during any organised competition; and for 30 minutes before and after the competition
- No Smoking within 10 metres of Children’s Playground
- No Smoking within 20 metres of Sports Competition or Seating Areas