On this page
What are the benefits?
There are many benefits to quitting smoking. You will:
- Reduce your risk of cancer, heart and lung disease.
- Save money.
- Be healthier, feel better, breathe easier and look younger.
- Recover better from illness or surgery.
- Set a good example for your children.
Counselling, information and support
There are many ways to quit smoking:
- Call Quitline on 13 78 48
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist
- Visit Quit Tasmania
- Visit Smoke Free Generation for younger people
- Download MyQuitBuddy app
- Speak to a smoking cessation nurse if you are in hospital.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) reduces your cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, mouth spray and inhalers are all types of NRT. Most people use a patch and at least one other product.
- Everyone is different. There is a dose that will work for you. Some people may need more than one patch.
- NRT more than doubles your chance of quitting.
- Your doctor can write you a prescription. This can make buying patches cheaper for you.
- You can get NRT from pharmacies, supermarkets and in hospital.
- Always refer to the instructions for use.
Quitting without medication
- Many people quit smoking without medication.
- Try reducing the number of cigarettes over a few days.
- Choose a date to quit and stop.