Hospitals and pregnancy care - South
Options of care during your pregnancy - South
We provide different antenatal care options in Southern Tasmania. These are:
- midwifery-based care
- Midwifery Group Practice
- midwife community clinics
- midwife satellite clinics
- medical clinics
- GP shared care.
Learn more about the different types of care
Know Your Midwife (KYM) Scheme
- You will be cared for by a team of midwives, in consultation with our doctors, during your pregnancy.
- Where possible, our KYM midwives will be available to care for you during birth and after your baby is born.
Hospitals and pregnancy-related service contacts - South
Service or Department
Royal Hobart Hospital (RHH)
Pregnancy Assessment Centre (PAC)
Women’s Health Clinic (WHC)
For appointments – 03 6166 0000
Birth and Parenting Classes
Enquiries/bookings – 03 6166 0000
Inpatient enquiries only – 03 6166 6688
Bookings – 03 6166 0000
Telephone Interpreter Service
Social Work Department
Perinatal and Infant Mental Health Services (referral required)
If intrastate assistance is required contact:
Launceston General Hospital
Mersey Community Hospital (near Devonport)
North West Regional Hospital (Burnie)
Maternity unit patient accommodation
- Your length of stay will depend on your model of care.
- You can phone 03 6166 8352 or 03 6166 8308 to contact women in labour.
Birthing spaces – Royal Hobart Hospital
- Birthing spaces and the assessment area are in K Block, Level 7 East of the Royal Hobart Hospital.
- To bond with your baby, you can stay in the birthing suite space for about 24 hours.
- If you need to stay in the hospital longer, you will be moved to a ward bed.
- We have four birthing/delivery rooms if you require specialised care in labour and birth.
- We have additional rooms to assess and observe you if you have significant needs.
- There is no guarantee that you will have one of these rooms. It depends on bed occupancy at the time.
- Only one support person can stay with you. They must bring their own food, toiletries and nightwear.
- You may also be cared for in a delivery suite if the birthing suites are all in use or if you were admitted to the Maternity Unit.
Maternity Unit in-patients – Royal Hobart Hospital
- The Maternity Unit is in K Block, Level 7 West of Royal Hobart Hospital.
- Most rooms are shared. There are four single rooms for women with clinical needs.
- Your support person is welcome. We encourage them to be present if you are moved to a ward bed. They cannot stay overnight.
- We have a ‘rooming-in’ policy. This means your baby is with you 24 hours a day.
- During your stay you are responsible for the care, supervision and safety of your baby.
- It is your responsibility not to leave your baby alone.
- Tell staff if you intend to leave the ward for any reason.
- If you leave your room/ward during visiting hours, please ask a family member to watch your baby.
- We do not have a nursery for well babies.
Arriving at the maternity unit for elective admissions
If you are being admitted to the Maternity Unit, please present to:
- between 7 am-4.30 pm, Monday to Friday – pre-operative admissions on Level 4, C Block
- on weekends – reception desk of the Maternity Unit
- in labour – straight to the Maternity Unit K-Block, Level 7 East on Campbell Street.
Booking tests and where to go
- Visit the Medical Imaging Department on the ground floor of the H Block (entry via Liverpool Street).
- To book a scan, please take your form directly to the receptionist.
- You cannot book an ultrasound over the phone.
Pathology tests and bookings
- It is important to have all blood tests ordered by your doctor.
- Please have these before your booking in your antenatal appointment.
Diabetes in pregnancy test
- You must fast (this means no food or drink other than water) before your diabetes in pregnancy blood test.
- Your Midwife or GP will give you a written instruction leaflet.
- Get your test done as early as possible in the morning.
- Allow 2-3 hours for the completion of this test.
- Please have your appointment (if possible) at Pathology South on Level 2 (Argyle Street)
- All results from this site are uploaded directly onto your hospital's digital medical records.
- For bookings, phone 03 6166 0150.
- You can also visit Clarence Integrated Care Centre, 16 Bayfield Street, Rosny Park.
We would like to advise pregnant women (and their family support) receiving pregnancy care in the South area (Royal Hobart Hospital) of recent changes to our antenatal education.
Pregnant women (plus one) can now book to attend face to face group antenatal classes and K Block Maternity Unit group Tours.
Please consult with your midwife or doctor at your next antenatal appointment.
Once you have decided which antenatal class or maternity tour date suits, please book at reception when booking your next antenatal appointment. If unsure please ask our reception staff what times and days are available.
Classes and Tours can be booked by phoning Women’s Health Clinic 6166 0000 during business hours Monday to Friday.
Breastfeeding classes are also available (limited number of classes). Please book at the reception desk or by phone Women’s Health Clinic 6166 0000 during business hours, Monday to Friday.
- Please remember to be aware of COVID-19 safety so we can maintain social distancing.
- Hand sanitizer will be available outside and inside the education room for antenatal group classes.
- Please bring your own food and drink to antenatal and Breastfeeding classes.
- Allow time for COVID-19 screening questions, this can be done via a phone app.
- Please be aware breastfeeding classes, antenatal classes and maternity tours availability is subject to change based on incoming information regarding COVID-19.
Antenatal education videos
You can also watch the Royal Women's Hospital video about Informed Decision Making & Medical Pain Management on their YouTube page