Hospitals and pregnancy care - North West
Options of care during your pregnancy – North West
We provide different antenatal care options in North West Tasmania. These are:
- midwifery-based care
- Midwifery Group Practice
- midwife community clinics
- midwife satellite clinics
- medical clinics
- GP shared care
- pre-term birth prevention clinic
Hospitals and pregnancy related service contacts
Service or Department
North West Regional Hospital
Mersey Community Hospital
North West Private Hospital Maternity Unit
Women's Health Clinic Appointments - Mersey Community Hospital
Women's Health Clinic Appointments - North West Regional Hospital
Pregnancy Assessment Clinic - Mersey Community Hospital
Pregnancy Assessment Clinic - North West Regional Hospital
Perinatal and Mental Health Services
Pregnancy Assessment Centre (PAC)
Contact our Pregnancy Assessment Centre (PAC) to talk to a midwife if:
- you are between 20 weeks pregnant and 10 days post birth
- you think that you are in labour
- have a pregnancy related concern
- you have had a fall or an accident
- you have any other concerns.
When you come to PAC the Midwives and Doctor will assess the well-being of you and your baby.
Support people and children
- We prefer you do not bring a support person with you to your PAC appointment.
- One visitor/support person may stay with you at the discretion of our midwives.
- No children are allowed.
Maternity unit accommodation
- We have a ‘rooming-in’ policy.
- This means your baby is with you 24 hours a day.
- During your stay you are responsible for the care, supervision and safety of your baby.
- It is your responsibility not to leave your baby alone.
- Tell staff if you intend to leave the ward for any reason.
- If you leave your room/ward during visiting hours, please ask a family member to watch your baby.
- We do not have a nursery for well babies.
Birthing suites and ward rooms – North West Regional Hospital
- Our birthing suites provide a comfortable and safe place for the birth of your baby.
- Each is self-contained. They have a TV, tea/coffee making facilities and concealed medical equipment.
- A bath is available in each of the rooms for water immersion and water birth.
- Most women want the company and support of someone they trust during labour.
- Only 2 support people (maximum) can be with you in the birthing suite.
- Our Maternity Unit has 4 bedrooms.
- They are shared and your partner cannot stay in these rooms.
- There may be single rooms available if you have specific medical requirements.
Maternity Unit for elective admissions
- If you are being admitted for a labour induction at North West Regional Hospital, please come to the Huon Ward at the time advised on the day of your induction.
- You will be provided with information on what is involved and what to expect.
- If you are a choosing an elective caesarean section, you will be advised of your admission date and time. You will also be given information on caesarean section when your surgery is booked.
Labour and birth
- Phoning us before you leave home enables the midwives to prepare for your arrival.
- It also makes the admission procedure flow more smoothly.
- Midwives are available to talk with you on the phone regarding concerns about your pregnancy and whether you should come to hospital.
- On arrival if you are in labour, please present to the Huon Ward.
- You can phone 1800 940 747 or 03 6432 6031 to contact women in labour.
Booking tests and where to go
- Mersey Hospital – Oldaker Street, Devonport
- North West Regional Hospital – Medical Centre, Marine Terrace, Burnie
Pathology tests and bookings
- It is important to have all blood tests ordered by your doctor.
- Please have these before your booking in your antenatal appointment.
Diabetes in pregnancy blood test
- You must fast (this means no food or drink other than water) before your diabetes in pregnancy blood test.
- Your Midwife or GP will give you a written instruction leaflet.
- Get your test done as early as possible in the morning.
- Please allow 2-3 hours for the completion of this test.
Locations for blood tests
- Mersey Hospital - Ground Floor
- Oldaker Street, Devonport
- North West Regional Hospital Medical Centre, Burnie
- Marine Terrace, Burnie