Smoking and your dental health
On this page
If you smoke, it can cause lots of health problems for you, including for your mouth, teeth and gums. Smoking is the single most preventable cause of illness and death within Australia.
Dental health problems caused by smoking
There are many types of illnesses and problems for your mouth, teeth and gums if you smoke. These include:
- oral cancer (cancer of the mouth, teeth or gums)
- increased chance of gum disease and bone loss
- abnormal spots or sores that may lead to cancer
- poor wound healing after surgery or extractions
- tooth loss and sensitivity
- bad breath
- loss of taste sensation
- stained teeth.
Learn more about the effects of smoking and tobacco on your overall health.
How to quit smoking
It is important to try and quit smoking if you are a smoker.
Information for health professionals
- As a health professional, you can help your patients quit smoking.
- Find out what support we can give you to help your patients.