Dental health for adults
It is important to take regular care of your mouth, teeth and gums to prevent disease and illness. This includes if you wear dentures.
How to clean your teeth
Use a small soft or powered toothbrush and a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth twice a day (morning and night). Toothpaste contains fluoride which helps strengthen your teeth and prevent decay.
- Start with the outside surfaces.
- Brush the inside surfaces.
- Brush the chewing surfaces.
- Brush behind your teeth.
- Brush your tongue to help freshen your breath.
- Spit, don't rinse.
How to care for your dentures
- Clean full or partial dentures every day with mild soap and a soft brush
- Use another soft toothbrush to clean your gums, tongue, and roof of your mouth
- Brush any natural teeth with a soft toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Spit, don’t rinse.
Other important dental health tips
Learn more ways take care of your mouth, teeth and gums.
Make a dental appointment
Learn about accessing dental health services for adults in Tasmania. This includes costs, locations and other dental information.