Planning your meals
The information on this page is of a general nature. If you have any health concerns or need individualised advice, talk to your GP or an Accredited Practising Dietitian.
Planning your meals can help you:
- eat well
- budget (working out how much money to spend on food)
- manage your time to shop, cook and eat
- eat a wide variety of healthy foods from the five food groups.
Why good nutrition is important
- Nutrition is how the food you eat affects your health.
- As you get older, what you eat may change.
- This may be due to taste, appetite (how hungry you are), cost and how you live.
- Food contains nutrients that give you energy. They help you do things each day.
- The main nutrients in food are carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals.
- Eating a balanced diet of different foods is important for good nutrition.
What a whole day of eating looks like
Each day, it is important to eat a variety of foods from the five major food groups. These are:
- dairy and alternatives
- lean meat and alternatives.