Health literacy resources and background
Here is a range of resources to support individuals, service providers, organisations and communities to be more responsive to health literacy needs.
Health Literacy Basics (what/why)
- Why is Health Literacy important - infographics from the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
- Explore Health Literacy - eLearning resource - Welcome to Wattle Hill
- Literacy and numeracy - resources 26Ten Get the tools for life 26ten website
- Research and data - Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) ABS Data
Initiatives in Tasmania
Here is information about some of the current health literacy initiatives in Tasmania.
2019 "What matters to you?" Health Literacy Forum
- Don Nutbeam - Health Literacy – what is it; why it matters and what to do about it - Presentation
- Don Nutbeam - Health Literacy – what is it; why it matters and what to do about it - Slides
2017 Health Creator's Forum
- Chris Pointon and Jessica Bean - Hellomynameis ambassador
- Chris Pointon Keynote presentation
- Jessica Bean presentation
2015 Building a Health Literate Tasmania
- Presentation - Lucy Vellar and Fioriana Mastrioanni - Plan for becoming a health literate organisation Powerpoint slides.
- Presentation - Dr Alison Beauchamp - Health literacy a resource for improving health outcomes and reducing health inequity Powerpoint Slides
Tools - How to...
- Build a Health Literate organisation - HelloTas
- Engage with consumers - Ace it tool Flourishtas
- Improving Aboriginal cultural awareness in the workplace Aboriginal Health
- Use Government icons
- Remember health literacy principles using Communication Checklist
- Write clearly - 26TEN Communicate Clearly Booklet
Videos and Examples
Here are a range of videos including examples which are useful to remind us about key aspects, or for training, sharing and presenting on different aspects of health literacy.
What is Health Literacy?
- What is health literacy – Ophelia
- Health Literacy – it doesn’t matter where you start
- ‘Dr Lisa on the street’ – are you confused about health information? You're not alone.
Working with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities:
- Steps towards cultural awareness
- Working with interpreters
- Tips for communication
- Tips and advice
- Case study Community Podiatry
- Simple yet effective communication tool used to check understanding Teach-back
The following videos focus on written and verbal communication.
- 'This is bad enough' Elspeth Murray (written)
- Dr House – asthma inhaler (verbal)
- Teachback for Street Outreach (verbal)
- Empathy vs sympathy (verbal)
- Mr Smith's smoking evolution (verbal)
- It's not about the nail (listening)
Research and Articles
There is so much being written about health literacy. Here are a few key articles:
- ‘Health Literacy, does it make a difference?’, Anne Johnson, 2014
- ‘The evolving concept of health literacy’, Don Nutbeam, 2006
- ‘The optimising Health Literacy (OpHeLia) process: Using health literacy profiling and community engagement to create and implement health reform', Batterham R.W. et al., 2014
- ‘Health Literacy, how nurses can make a difference', Anne Johnson, 2015
If you want more information or examples on specific areas on health literacy please email firstname.lastname@example.org.