Rethink 2020 - Tasmania's strategic plan for mental health
What is Rethink 2020?
Rethink 2020 is Tasmania’s strategic mental health plan. It is a shared approach to improving mental health outcomes for all Tasmanians. It strengthens the Government’s initial 2015 plan and focuses on new areas.
- suicide prevention
- improving coordination of services for people with severe and complex mental illness
- improving the physical health of people with mental illness
- providing ‘stepped care’ mental health services best suited to a person’s needs.
2022-23 Rethink 2020 Implementation Plan
The 2022-23 Rethink 2020 Implementation plan is the second Rethink 2020 implementation plan and provides an updated oversight of the work that is occurring to progress the Rethink 2020 Reform Directions. The plan outlines the approach and activities that will deliver Rethink 2020 and has been jointly developed by the Tasmanian Department of Health, Primary Health Tasmania, and the Mental Health Council of Tasmania. Guided input has been received from Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drug Leadership Group (Leadership Group) and relevant stakeholders.
The Plan covers the following areas:
- Planning and development
- Communication and engagement
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Action plans
Download the 2022-23 Rethink 2020 Implementation Plan
Read this in conjunction with the Rethink 2020 State Plan 2020-2025.
Who is involved?
The Implementation Plan is a collaboration between:
It is endorsed by the Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Leadership Group.
Other partners and stakeholders:
- Flourish Tasmania
- Mental Health Families and Friends Tasmania
- Tasmanian Health Service
- National Disability Insurance Agency
Rethink 2020 progress review and update 2021-22
This provides a progress update on the implementation of activities outlined in Rethink 2020 and covers:
- Empowering Tasmanians to maximise their mental health and wellbeing
- Promoting mental health, preventing mental health problems and early intervention
- Reducing the stigma surrounding mental health
- Integrating mental health into our existing health system
- Community support rather than hospital-based care
- Early and timely access to support
- Responding to the needs of specific population groups
- Improving safety and developing quality mental health services
- Supporting and developing our workforce
- Monitoring and evaluating our progress
Download the 2021-22 Rethink 2020 Progress Report
Read this in conjunction with the Rethink 2020 State Plan 2020-2025 and the Rethink 2020 Implementation Plan.
Where to get more information
Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Directorate
- Phone: 6166 0774
- Email: [email protected]
Primary Health Tasmania
- Phone: 1300 653 169
- Email: [email protected]