Legislation and useful websites
The Tasmanian Poisons Act 1971 and the Poisons Regulations 2018 provides for the possession, supply, and use of medicines and poisons.
Below are the key links to legislation about the supply and prescribing of medicines and poisons in Tasmania. You can also visit www.legislation.tas.gov.au and use the search option.
- Administered by the Tasmanian Department of Health.
- Outline the controls on scheduled substances (including scheduled medicines) to minimise harm to individuals and the community.
- Regulates through licences, permits and authorisations relevant to scheduled medicines and poisons.
- Regulates manufacture, possession, prescribing, dispensing, supply, storage, recording and use of scheduled medicines and poisons.
- Regulatory controls vary depending on the schedule of the substance as listed in the Commonwealth Poisons Standard.
Useful websites related to medicines and poisons
- Ahpra (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority)
- ANZCA Faculty of Pain Medicine Opioid Dose Equivalence
- Australian Digital Health Agency
- Commonwealth Office of Drug Control
- Department of Health Immunisation Advice
- Medicare Australia
- NPS MedicineWise
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia
- Pharmacy Guild of Australia
- Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia
- Tasmanian Pharmacy Authority
- Tasmanian School of Pharmacy
- Therapeutic Goods Administration
- Veterinary Board of Tasmania