Referral to audiology services
If a parent is concerned about their child’s hearing, you must refer them for a formal audiological assessment.
Undiagnosed or late-diagnosed hearing loss has significant consequences.
- We require a referral for all audiology services except for cochlear implant assessments.
- We accept referrals from medical practitioners allied health professionals and child health nurses.
- All referrals and appointments are arranged from our main office at the Royal Hobart Hospital.
Information about cochlear implant services
We do not require a referral for the following patients:
- Cochlear implant assessment
Please provide a recent audiogram and information about your patient’s hearing aids.
- Adults and children with cochlear implants who wish to transfer to our clinic.
Please provide a handover report and speech processor MAPping file before booking an appointment.
- Infants under 12 months for hearing screening or diagnostic assessment.
How we categorise audiology referrals
- We triage all referrals in order of urgency.
- Categories of urgency are outlined on the Outpatients website.
- Download a referral template here.
How to refer a patient for the cochlear implant program
- Please provide a medical referral addressed to Dr Simone Boardman.
- Please include a copy of a recent hearing test.
- Please state the referral as ‘indefinite’ given the chronic or permanent nature of the hearing loss.
- An indefinite referral covers all future appointments.
Please include the following information in your referral:
- Patient contact details and preferred contact person
- Interpreter requirements and language
- History and aetiology of hearing loss
- Current audiogram and information about hearing aids
- Relevant medical issues, especially issues that may increase the anaesthetic risk
- Summary of relevant test results (for example, radiology)
- Your details and provider number. This is a Medicare-billed clinic. There are no out-of-pocket costs to Medicare eligible patients.
The referral should be addressed to:
Dr Simone Boardman
c/o – Audiology Service
Wellington Clinic, Royal Hobart Hospital
GPO Box 1061
Hobart TAS 7000
Where appointments are held
- Audiology and speech pathology appointments is at the Royal Hobart Hospital.
- Implant surgery and medical care is in Launceston.