Referral information for health professionals
Referral criteria for specialised burns treatment
Although not all patients in these categories will require transfer to the RHH Burns Unit, advice must be sought by the RHH Burns/Plastics Registrar. Phone RHH: 03 6166 8308
- Burns >10% of total body surface (TBSA) in an adult
- Burns >5% of total body surface (TBSA) in a child
- Burns of special areas – face, hands, neck, feet, genitalia, perineum, and major joints
- Full-thickness burns
- Electrical burns
- Chemical burns
- Burns within an associated inhalation injury
- Circumferential burns of the limbs or chest
- Burns in the very young or very old or in pregnancy
- Burns in people with pre-existing medical disorders that could complicate management, prolonged recovery, or increased mortality
- Burns with associated trauma
- Clinical signs of infection
- Suspected non-accidental injury.
Burns that heal in greater than 2 weeks or that receive a skin graft should be referred to the Burns Scar Management Review Clinic or the TeleBurns Clinic at the RHH Burns Unit one month post healing/grafting for review by the Burns Team.
A referral letter must be faxed with all referrals to:
Level 12, Wellington Clinics: 03 6234 9636
Who to contact for more information
Contact the Burns/Plastics Registrar
Contact Burns Clinical Nurse Consultant
To make an Outpatient appointment, view contact details on the service page.