On this page
- It is important to check that your doctor is qualified.
- We manage this through a process called registration.
- This means they must be approved to practice or perform health services.
National registration and accreditation scheme
- Australia’s State and Territory Governments have a national scheme for the registration and accreditation of health professionals.
- Under this agreement, each State and Territory is required to devise a model for complaints and disciplinary actions, reviews of registration decisions and for appeals.
- Learn more on the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme for Health Professions on the AHPRA website.
Types of registered healthcare roles
- Dental care practitioners (dentists, hygienists, prosthetists, therapists)
- Medical practitioners
- Nurses and midwives
How people obtain their registration
- Special organisations are responsible for registering healthcare practitioners.
- These are called national boards.
- They follow a special law to register people.
Registration in Tasmania
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Tasmanian Office
- Phone: 1300 419 495
- Address: 12th Floor, AMP Building, Corner Elizabeth and Collins St, Hobart
- Postal address: GPO Box 9958, Hobart, Tasmania 7001
- Visit the AHPRA website
Medical Radiation Science Professionals Registration Board of Tasmania
Covering Radiation Therapists, Diagnostic Radiographers & Nuclear Medicine Technologists)
- Address: PO Box 298, Newstead TAS 7250
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0438 448 991
- Fax: 03 6331 6371
National Health Practitioner Registration Boards
Visit the following websites for more information:
- Chiropractic Board of Australia
- Dental Board of Australia
- Medical Board of Australia
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Optometry Board of Australia
- Osteopathy Board of Australia
- Pharmacy Board of Australia
- Physiotherapy Board of Australia
- Podiatry Board of Australia
- Psychology Board of Australia