Second Coronavirus case confirmed in Tasmania

8 March 2020

Dr Mark Veitch, Director of Public Health

A man in his 20s has been confirmed as the second case of coronavirus in Tasmania.

The man arrived in Tasmania on 26 February after being in Nepal, transiting through Singapore and Sydney to Hobart.

He experienced some initial cold-like symptoms late on 27 February. After developing further symptoms late last week, he contacted the Public Health hotline on 6 March and was tested at the Royal Hobart Hospital that evening.

Confirmation of a positive test result was received late yesterday and the man was transferred to the Royal Hobart Hospital for isolation and clinical management. He is in a satisfactory condition.

The patient provided assistance last night to Public Health staff who are identifying and interviewing all close contacts, including those in his home and workplace.

A close contact is someone who spends at least 15 minutes in close face-to-face contact with a positive case or is with them in an enclosed room for more than 2 hours.

All close contacts will be required to remain in self-quarantine for 14 days and will be monitored and contacted daily by Public Health to check on their well-being and whether they have symptoms and need testing.

Four household members have been identified as close contacts and are in self-quarantine. Three non-household friends and one other person have also been identified as close contacts.

The man is a student at Australian Ideal College and has attended the college twice briefly recently.

The man worked several casual shifts at the Grand Chancellor Hotel during the past week. Public Health is working with the Grand Chancellor to identify whether any co-workers during these shifts could qualify as close contacts. Public Health is also working with the Grand Chancellor to identify circumstances where members of the public may have had casual contact with the case.

While the risk from casual contact is low, we will provide this additional information to the public later today.

The man was advised of the requirement to self-isolate between testing and test results, but did not comply.

It is unacceptable for people to continue activities in public or attended work while waiting for their Coronavirus test result, and I ask all people in Tasmania to act responsibly in these circumstances.

So far, 114 tests have been completed in Tasmania. There have been two positive tests.

The Tasmanian Public Health Hotline number is 1800 671 738

For general information about coronavirus, call the national 24-hour coronavirus information line on

1800 020 080 or visit the Australian Government Department of Health website