Private Health Regulation Unit
Find information about the Private Health Regulation Unit in Tasmania.
Private Health Establishments Regulation and Licensing
- The Department of Health (Tasmania) is responsible for licensing and monitoring private health service establishments as well as non-emergency patient transport (NEPT) services in Tasmania.
- Administration of the licensing program for private health service establishments and NEPT services is performed by the Regulation, Licensing and Accreditation Unit, under the Deputy Secretary Clinical Quality, Regulation and Accreditation Department of Health and Chief Medical Officer.
Health service establishments
Licensing private health service establishments is carried out under the authority of the Health Service Establishments Act 2006 (the HSE Act) and the Health Service Establishments Regulations 2021 (the HSE Regulations).
The objectives of the HSE Act and the HSE Regulations are to ensure:
- the quality and safety of services provided at private health establishments by specifying the standards to be met by these establishments
- services are provided to effectively meet the needs of Tasmanians in accordance with clinical practice guidelines.
These objectives are met through licensing and ongoing compliance monitoring. For more information about private health service establishments on our website for:
Non-Emergency Patient Transport (NEPT) services
Licensing non-emergency patient transport (NEPT) services is carried out under the authority of the Ambulance Service Act 1982 and the Ambulance Service Regulations. Learn more about NEPT services.
Where to get more information
For further information on licensing private health services establishments or non-emergency patient transport (NEPT) services please contact the Regulation Unit:
- Phone: 03 6166 3856
- Post: Regulation, Licensing and Accreditation Unit, Department of Health (Tasmania), GPO Box 125, Hobart TAS 7001
- Email: [email protected] (for private health establishments)
- Email: [email protected] (for NEPT services)