Locating defibrillators (AEDs) in Tasmania
On this page
- A defibrillator is a machine that can save someone's life.
- You can use it when someone has a sudden cardiac arrest.
- Cardiac arrest is when the heart suddenly stops pumping.
- The defibrillator uses electricity to re-start the heart.
- The sooner you use a defibrillator, the person has a better chance to recover.
Why you might need a defibrillator
- When someone has a cardiac arrest, blood is no longer pumped around their body.
- Early access to a defibrillator is critical.
- It can save people’s lives.
The Early Access to Defibrillation program
- Many organisations own automatic external defibrillators.
- These are called ‘AEDs’.
- We work closely with these organisations.
- We register their AED with our ‘Early Access to Defibrillation' program.
- If a cardiac arrest occurs, we alert the owner of a nearby AED.
- They can quickly bring their AED to the patient.
- You do not need to have First Aid training to register or use your AED.
- You just have to turn it on.
- The machine tells you what to do in simple steps.
- You cannot harm the person by using an AED.
- You can help save their life.
How to register your AED with us
- Anyone with an AED can join our program.
- You can register online, call or email.
- We will provide you with a registration pack.
- There is no cost to register and participate in the program.
- The only cost is buying your AED.
- You will need to replace the AED batteries and pads when they expire.
Call us on 1300 979 057.
What happens when we need your AED?
- If someone is in cardiac arrest, we may contact you.
- We will do this if your AED is within 10 minutes of the patient.
- We will send a text or voice message to you with incident location details.
- You can choose to take your AED to the location if it is safe.
- You do not have to respond if you receive a message.
- It is best to walk to the scene if you choose to take your AED to an incident.
How to find an AED
Apps to help you
- You can use our AED Locator smartphone app.
- It uses your phone's location to determine your closest AED.
- It will also display directions to that AED.
- It also includes an instruction video.
- The video shows you how to use an AED.
- It also tells you how to perform CPR and help an unconscious person.