Safe Havens provide support to people in suicidal or situational distress and their families, friends, or support networks.
Safe Havens are designed to be a safe and supportive environment, emphasise relationships, and safety planning and are grounded in connection, compassion, and hope.
Safe Havens are a therapeutic space with peer workers and senior mental health clinicians. The support offered is based on people’s preferences and needs.
Who can attend?
The Safe Haven is for people aged 15 years and over, who are experiencing situational or suicidal distress, and their families or support networks.
You can access the Safe Haven without a referral.
You don't have to be linked with mental health services to ask for or receive support.
The Safe Haven is open 7 days a week from 9am to 10pm.
The Safe Haven provides a safe and welcoming environment for our community.
- Being accessible to the community
- Forming compassionate relationships
- Supporting family and friends
- Providing physical and emotional safety
- Working in partnership with people, families and support networks.
- Recovery oriented care, based on respect, choice and hope
- The skills and perspectives of people with mental health, alcohol or other drugs lived experience
- Ensuring a respectful and inclusive place for all people.
The Safe Haven teams includes peer workers and senior mental health clinicians.
Peer workers have lived experience of mental health and drug and alcohol, either for themselves or as a family member or support person.
Peer workers provide intentional support to people experiencing situational or suicidal distress. The contribution of peer workers is a critical element of the Safe Haven
Staff support people with developing or implementing a safety plan, focusing on self-management, instilling hope, and building connection.
Peer workers and clinicians provide individual responses with people and their families and friends, recognising suicidal and situational distress looks different for everyone.
Address: Safe Haven, Peacock Centre, 10 Elphinstone Road, North Hobart 7000