Looking after your mental health
Dealing with COVID-19 can cause stress and have an impact on mental health and wellbeing.
Everyone can act, including taking early steps for our own mental health and wellbeing or getting help from others.
This may involve monitoring yourself and how you feel and seeking help early. This will reduce the chances of ongoing mental or physical health issues.
There is a range of support services available, including talking to your GP, a counsellor or other health professionals.
Where to get help
There are many services waiting to listen and support anyone who needs advice or is worried, stressed or needs a friendly and understanding voice to talk things through.
Access Mental Health
Access Mental Health is a mental health support, triage, and referral phone line delivered by the Department of Health, Tasmania, in partnership with Lifeline Tasmania.
It operates from 9am to 10pm every day to support the Tasmanian community and make it easier to access the Tasmanian mental health system.
Anyone in Tasmania can call Access Mental Health on 1800 332 388 for:
- immediate counselling support over the phone
- information about the Tasmanian mental health system
- help making a referral to public mental health services.
If you are a current consumer, you can call Access Mental Health to get in touch with your community team. GPs and other treating health professionals can also call Access Mental Health to make referrals.
Access Mental Health is operated by skilled and experienced mental health professionals. Wherever you are in Tasmania, you will speak with someone who understands the Tasmanian mental health system and the mental health services available near you.
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636 (24 hours, 7 days)
- MensLine Australia: 1300 789 978 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800 (24 hours, 7 days)
- National COVID Older Persons Information Line: 1800 171 866 (8:30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)
- Headspace: 1800 650 890
- Rural Alive and Well (RAW): 1300 4357 6283 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service and Family Drug Support: 1800 811 994
- Alcohol and Drug Services (Department of Health): 1300 139 641
- Quit Tasmania: 13 78 48
- Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs Council Tasmania