Child Health and Parenting Service (CHaPS)
The Child Health and Parenting Service (CHaPS) provides free child health and development assessments for all children aged 0-5 years.
Growth and Development Assessments
Child Health Assessments or medical checks are recommended at the following ages:
- 2 weeks
- 4 weeks
- 6 weeks (medical check recommended)
- 8 weeks
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 2 years
- 4 years (Healthy Kids check).
These assessments are in your child’s Personal Health Record (blue book) given to you at your child’s birth. These assessments are important to answer any questions you might have about your child’s:
- growth and if they are doing the things expected for their age
- feeding and sleep
- what changes are coming up for your child’s age and how you can be ready.
Support we provide
Support from your family and child health nurse includes information on many topics, such as:
- child health and development
- SIDS and safe sleeping
- sleep and settling
- play and safety
- injury prevention
- oral health and caring for teeth
- post-natal wellbeing, health, and depression
- becoming a mother or father balancing work and family life
- practical parenting tips
What to do if you are worried
- Growth and development in your child’s first few years are fast.
- Little concerns can quickly become bigger issues.
- Speak to your local family and child health nurse if you have any questions.
Child Health and Parenting Service recommend the following resources:
- Raising Children Network
- StartingBlocks - Your Child's Development
- Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Pregnancy, Birth and Baby
- Healthy Kids
- COPE: Centre of Perinatal Excellence
How to contact us
Make a booking
For enquiries and appointments, phone 1300 064 544 and you will be connected to the Child Health and Parenting Service.
You can also call the Parent Line for 24-hour support. Phone 1300 808 178.
View our Child Health and Parenting Services by region using the lists below.
|Child Health and Parenting Service locations|
Use our Service Finder to find a Child Health and Parenting Service near you:
- Filter by the service type "Children's health"
- Select the specific service "Child Health and Parenting Service (CHaPS)"