Patient Fact Sheet: My Health Record

Printable version

What is My Health Record?

A secure federal online summary of your health information, that either you and/or authorised healthcare providers involved in your care can access.

My Health Record is personally controlled, allowing you to control what goes into it and who can access it.

My Health Record in the Tasmanian Health Service

When you are treated in a Tasmanian Public Hospital, records relating to your care such as discharge summaries, medications and pathology or radiology reports may be uploaded to your My Health Record, if you have one. This is called ‘standing consent’.

These documents are not always uploaded while receiving treatment at a Tasmanian Public Hospital. This is because sometimes your clinician may use a paper-based process, or a system which hasn’t been connected to My Health Record yet.

Tasmanian Health Service clinicians can also choose not to send clinical documents to a My Health Record.

If you are a parent, guardian and/or young person, Tasmanian Public Hospitals currently do not upload documents to My Health Record for patients under the age of 18. Work is underway to allow uploading for all Tasmanians with a My Health Record at a later stage.

My Health Record Consent in the Tasmanian Health Service

You will need to let your treating Tasmanian Public Hospital know if you do not want clinical documents uploaded to your My Health Record.

When you withdraw consent, all document uploading to your My Health Record will cease, until you reinstate your consent again.

You can reinstate your consent at any time, and each time you change your consent status you will be asked to complete a short form for inclusion into the treating Tasmanian Public Hospital’s local medical record.

It is not possible for your treating Tasmanian Public Hospital to stop a single document, or to remove a document retrospectively from your My Health Record.

However, you control the information in your My Health Record, and can view, add or delete documents and information as and when you wish to. You can do this online, or by phoning the national Help line on 1800 723 471